Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Oops!



Were you watching NBC's Toady Show today? At the end of the 8:00AM-9:00 AM hour, Matt Lauer and Natalie Morales had just finished an interview and before the microphones were cut, you could hear Lauer scold Morales. "Don't you ever interrupt...." Fade to black. I don't get to watch the Today Show because of job constraints. I have noticed that Morales has an annoying habit of interjecting herself in an interview which either turns the spotlight on her or left turns the attention away from the subject matter.

It reminded me of a time when I worked for WYOU-TV 22 with my photographer and good friend Al Kornak. We were doing a live shot outside the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts in Wilkes-Barre. It was early evening, but very dark. Al and I seemed to be the only people on Public Square at the time. As I wrapped up my story, from seemingly out of nowhere, an elderly woman (forgive me, a bag lady) appeared. Without hesitation, she walked up to me and uttered those now famous words, "Are you on the air?" I said, "No ma'am, WE'RE on the air." She walked away undaunted. Al and I finished the story and thought we had signed off. I was ready to launch into a tirade when I remembered that old broadcasting adage, "the mike is always on and always live." I caught myself and luckily said nothing. Lucky because the mike was hot and had I said something it would have been shared with our audience.

Matt, remember the mike is ALWAYS on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this the beginning of the book?
Keep going!