Friday, August 8, 2008

The Late Great Terry McNulty

She says, "Pushy."
He says, "Is that you Reba or did I forget to bring the cat in?"
She says, "Don't be a wisenheimer Pushy. I have some bad news."
He says, "Bad news Reba?"
She says, "Yes Pushy. That wonderful Terry McNulty died."
He says, "I know Reba. It was all the talk at Naomi's Cafe. Cafe."
She says, "My sister Shirley called to tell me. She heard it from Flossie Guzek."
He says, "Shoo-Shoo Schumacher, Finch and I raised our glasses to Terry."
She says, "Flossie had a vision Pushy."
He says, "I had so much to drink I had double vision."
She says, "Never you mind Pushy. Flossie said she had a vision of Terry standing at the Pearly Gates."
He says, "Go on Reba."
She says, "Flossie said St. Peter wouldn't let Terry into heaven until he answered one question."
She says, "St. Peter asked Terry if there were really people in the studio for the Pineapple Feature?"
He says, "Good question. Wait 'til God finds out it was all made up."
She says, Pushy Bosco!"

August 11th marks the two year anniversary of the death of Terry McNulty. He was my colleague, my mentor and my friend.

The funeral mass at Our Lady of Snows Church in Clarks Summit was the greatest gathering of local broadcast talent in one room, with the possible exception of when Terry entered a studio alone.

When we open the local broadcasting Hall of Fame, Terry will be in the first class.

Rest in Peace, dear friend.

2 comments:

David Yonki said...

Kevin:
Thank you for remembering Terry McNulty. Although my interactions with him were not as up close and personal as yours, I have to tell you it was my pleasure knowing him. First as an intern at King's (I also remember going out on news calls with you in the dead of winter of '76), then as a PR guy who had the resource of Terry's generosity for my projects and then as a witness for his federal case against the people who let him go. Through it all there was an understated dignity and great sense of humor that is legend in radio parts in this area we call NEPA. He was one of the finest and I am again most grateful for your remembrance and your "Pushy and Reba" script. Somewhere, there's Terry with that sheepish grin saying, "Zowee Diggins Jordan, what are you doing?"

Unknown said...

Kevi'ns recollection of Terry in this blog is so timely as Kevin's death has been reported. I was so fortunate to hear Pushy and the Softball Softies on WNAK as I drove a company car on the road while Terry worked there towards the last, and also at the Warm building when I went there to buy Boy Scout items, as the Scout store was in the basement. Fond, fond memories of WARM and Terry, and now Kevin. I must be getting old.