Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Double G"



It was with profound sadness that we learned today of the death of George Gilbert.
George was a legend in local radio. His family announced the death on an internet radio chat board. How appropriate. Thanks to Tom Woods, many of us were able to share our thoughts about George. His son-in-law said George's family shared them with George. Before he died last night, surrounded by his family, George knew how important he was to us.
I've always said that David DeCosmo "discovered" me, but it was George who gave me my big break, taking a chance on an 18-year old newscaster back in 1975.
I saw him last at the funeral for Terry McNulty in 2006. Before that, George was part of Terry's on air retirement party at WNAK. Many of us recorded messages for Terry. I recorded George.
I remember thinking to myself, "George hasn't missed a beat." While much of the discussion over the next few days will be about George's immense talent, please don't lose how much he gave to the broadcasters with whom he worked. As part of the "Sensational Seven" he made WARM Radio a powerhouse. By inspiring and supporting young broadcasters, WARM continued to be a giant.
May God bless you George. May God bless your family.
You are and were, "Sensational."

No comments: